In this series, Attorney Jacob J. Sapochnick, Esq. discusses the process of applying for permanent residence for individuals on a valid student visa.
Notes to keep in mind when applying for permanent residence:
– F visa holders must know that when they apply for a green card they may lose their chance of renewing their F1.
– The length of the green card process can take two or more years. This process will not allow you a right to stay in the US.
– Until you can get to the adjustment of status process, you won’t be allowed to work.
– It may take years to adjust your status especially for those from India and China.
– Always get advice from a qualified attorney before filing from an F1
For additional questions on how you can live and work in the United States please call our office for a free legal consultation.