Fiance ‘K-1 Visa’ Requirements

In this video, attorney Jacob J. Sapochnick Esq., discusses the K-1 visa and the requirements to apply. For more information about the K-1 visa please click here. For a first consultation please contact our office.


  1. In order to apply for the K-1 non-immigrant visa, the petitioner must be a United States Citizen. Legal Permanent Resident “Green Card” holders of the United States are not allowed to obtain a K-1 Visa for their foreign fiancee.
  2. Both the petitioner (U.S. citizen) and the beneficiary (foreign fiancee) must be free to marry. This means that if either has been previously married he or she must be either divorced or widowed, or else the marriage must be legally annulled. A valid divorce that took place in a foreign country qualifies as legitimate for U.S. immigration purposes. You must be prepared to provide documented evidence of any divorces that have taken place (final divorce decrees from the authorized legal entity).
  3. The petitioner and foreign fiancee must have the intent to marry within 90 days of the foreign fiancee’s arrival in the U.S.
  4. The petitioner and foreign fiancee must have met in person within two years prior to filing the fiancee visa petition with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. There is a hardship waiver available for this requirement, but it is extremely difficult to obtain. The fact that the petitioner is too busy with his work, children, sick parent, etc. will not be adequate to obtain the waiver. To qualify for a waiver, most often there is a medical condition that prevents the US citizen from international travel.
  5. The U.S. citizen petitioner must meet a minimum income requirement as outlined on Form I-864P, describing the poverty level set by Congress every year. If the U.S. Citizen petitioner DOES NOT meet the income requirement, they must obtain a joint sponsor. For more information about the poverty guidelines and affidavit of support please visit our website.

For more information about this program, please contact our office. 

Connect with us on Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Instagram.