CBP Reminds Travelers about Requirements for Admission into U.S. and I-94 Permit Process

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) officials are reminding foreign travelers and Mexican border crossing card (or “laser visa”) holders about requirements to enter the United States, how to obtain an I-94 permit, and when an I-94 permit is required in time for the busy summer travel season.

Under U.S. immigration law, an applicant for admission into the U.S. as a temporary visitor for business or pleasure must prove to a CBP officer that their projected stay in the U.S. will be temporary.

Unless otherwise exempted, each foreign traveler admitted into the United States is issued an I-94 permit (arrival/departure record), as evidence of the terms of their admission.

Mexican citizens entering the country through the southern land border with a border crossing card (“laser visa”) are exempted from the requirement for an I-94 permit unless they are intending to remain in the U.S. for more than 30-days and/or will travel more than 25 miles from the border. Applicants who present a border crossing card (or laser visa) are not eligible to work in the United States.

Those applicants requiring an I-94 permit must demonstrate that they are financially solvent and have sufficiently strong ties to their country of origin, including a home abroad they do not intend to abandon. “Ties” are the various aspects of a person’s life that bind him or her to his or her country or residence. Some examples of ways to document these ties can be pay stubs for a person’s employment/income, a house or apartment mortgage or rental receipt, bank account records, utility bills, etc.

It is not possible to specify the documents applicants for admission should carry, since each applicant’s circumstances vary greatly. Applicants should carry with them whatever documents they think demonstrate their individual circumstances. All traveling family members need to be present during the I-94 application process.

The I-94 permit, which costs $6, allows visitors to travel further than 25 miles from the border and remain in the U.S. for more than 30 days. By U.S. law, a foreign traveler must posses his or her entry documents, and if required, the I-94 permit, with them at all times while in the United States.

In addition, at checkpoints, U.S. Border Patrol agents check foreign travelers for entry documents and the I-94 permit. Travelers not in possession of their entry documents and an I-94 permit may have their visa cancelled and be deported from the United States.