New E2 Investment Visa for Citizens of New Zealand

In this video attorney Jacob Sapochnick shares exciting news, New Zealand has now been added to the list of eligible citizens that may apply for an E-2 Investor visa.

A recent change in the law now allows citizens of New Zealand to come to the United States as investors and apply for the E-2 investor visa. Citizens of New Zealand may invest in any business venture, with an investment as low as $50,000.

Previously, citizens of New Zealand were not a part of the E-2 investor visa program, so this is a great opportunity for entrepreneurs interested in bringing their talents to the United States.

What is the E-2 visa?

The E-2 visa is suitable for persons who are: a) foreign nationals of a treaty trader country b) interested in making a substantial investment in a new business in the United States or existing U.S. business c) not interested in permanent residence d) interested in remaining in the United States for the short term.

What are the advantages of the E-2 visa?

  • By investing or acquiring an existing U.S. business, the treaty trader is not tied down to a U.S. employer and therefore does not need to be preoccupied with the day to day administration and management of the business. American employees can be hired to undertake these activities;
  • There is no set minimum investment required, however the investment should be more than half the total value of the enterprise (for existing businesses), or an amount considered necessary to establish the business (for startups); We recommend a minimum of a $50,000 investment, and an ideal figure of $100,000.
  • Although the E-2 visa is not a path to permanent residence, the treaty trader can remain in the United States by seeking an extension of stay in 2-year increments;
  • The treaty trader does not have to be the sole investor in the company, but must maintain at least 50% ownership in the company;
  • There are no quota restrictions for E-2 visas;
  • A treaty trader may be admitted for a period of 2 years and seek extensions of stay in 2-year increments;
  • Treaty traders may bring their dependents to live with them in the United States;
  • Spouses of treaty traders are eligible for employment authorization in the United States;
  • Dependent children of treaty traders are not eligible for employment authorization in the United States but may attend school.

Please note: The E-2 visa is now a path to a green card.

General steps to apply for an E-2 visa as an investor:

  • Enter the United States on a B-1/B-2 visa
  • Set up the company in the United States
  • Move funds into the United States entity
  • Investment period (obtaining a lease, purchasing equipment, etc.)

Please remember to follow us on FacebookYoutubeTwitter, and Instagram.