Welcome back to the Immigration Lawyer Blog, where we discuss all things immigration. In this video, attorney Jacob Sapochnick discusses a new and exciting bill proposed by the House of Representatives known as the HEROES Act (Health and Economic Recovery Omnibus Emergency Solutions Act) that would provide financial relief for undocumented immigrants, employment authorization for undocumented essential workers, and expedited visa processing for doctors, nurses, and other essential workers.
Please keep in mind that to become law, the HEROES Act still needs to be passed by the U.S. Senate and signed into law by the President.
Keep on watching for more information.
HEROES Act Overview
The new HEROES Act addresses some of the shortcomings of the previous CARES Act, which excluded undocumented immigrants from receiving stimulus checks from the federal government. The HEROES Act is a $3 trillion federal relief package that authorizes a second round of stimulus checks for those who qualify.
Here are the five takeaways of the HEROES Act:
- The HEROES Act would provide cash payments to immigrants and their families previously excluded under the CARES Act
- The HEROES Act would shield essential workers from deportation and create opportunities for some undocumented immigrants to obtain employment authorization (much like DACA)
- THE HEROES Act calls on Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to release low-risk immigrants from detention facilities where detention is not mandatory and where the detainee is not a national security risk
- The HEROES Act would allow expedited visa and green card processing for foreign medical professionals fighting Coronavirus and grant flexibility for medical professionals as to where they can work and how they can work
- THE HEROES Act would grant health care benefits for undocumented immigrants who do not have health insurance, including free testing, vaccines, and treatment relating to Coronavirus
We believe this bill is a step in the right direction of undocumented immigrants and provides much needed expedited processing for foreign medical professionals waiting for their green cards and visas to be approved. We will keep our readers updated on the progress of this bill.
If you would like to read more information about the HEROES Act please click here.
Visa Options for Physicians
To read more information about current visa options for physicians please click here.
Immigration and COVID-19 Resource Center
For further immigration information related to COVID-19 please visit our Immigration and COVID-19 Resource Center here.
Follow our New Facebook Group for COVID 19 and EO Updates
We have created a new facebook group to address the impact of the executive order and other changing developments related to COVID-19. Follow us there!
If you have any questions or concerns regarding these updates please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office at 619-819-9204 for a consultation.