Did you know? The Department of State is accepting online registrations for the Diversity Visa Program (Green Card Lottery) for fiscal year 2025 now through Tuesday, November 7th at noon EST.
You won’t want to miss the opportunity to win one of 55,000 green cards available to certain nationals of countries with historically low rates of immigration to the United States.
To find out if you qualify for this program, just keep on watching this video!
What is the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program?
Every year, the Department of State runs the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program also known as the “Green Card Lottery.” It is a U.S. government program for obtaining permanent residency in the United States (a green card). The program is open to nationals from designated countries that have low rates of immigration to the United States and who meet specific educational requirements. It provides an inexpensive and relatively simple path to obtain a green card for individuals who may not otherwise qualify for permanent residence through any other alternative under U.S. immigration law.
Nationals of qualifying countries may register for the program for free at dvprogram.state.gov. You can apply for the green card lottery whether you live overseas or are currently inside the United States. Once the registration period has closed, the Department of State will conduct a random lottery to select those who will be eligible to apply for their green cards beginning October 1, 2024.
The results of the FY 2025 diversity visa lottery will be posted on the DV lottery entrant status webpage starting May 4, 2024, through September 30, 2025.
Please be aware that applicants will not be notified directly of their selection. The only way to confirm your selection is by entering your confirmation number on the official webpage.
What are the requirements to qualify?
In order to qualify for the DV lottery applicants must:
- have been born in one of a list of countries identified by the State Department as having historically low rates of immigration to the United States; and
- have one of the following education/experience qualifications:
- high school education or equivalent; or
- two years of qualifying work experience within the past five years that requires at least two years of training or experience.
If you are a foreign national of a country with historically high rates of immigration to the United States, you are not eligible for the DV lottery.
Additionally, for fiscal year 2025, individuals born in the following countries are not eligible and cannot register for the program because more than 50,000 natives of these countries have immigrated to the U.S. in the previous five years:
- Bangladesh, Brazil, Canada, China (including mainland and Hong Kong SAR), Colombia, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Haiti, Honduras, India, Jamaica, Mexico, Nigeria, Pakistan, Philippines, South Korea, Venezuela, and Vietnam.
Please note that even if you are ineligible due to your country of birth, you may still qualify through a spouse who was born in an eligible country or, in certain circumstances, through a parent’s country of birth.
How do I register?
- Entrants are required to submit an online form and a digital photo through the official DV lottery website by November 7th at noon EST. DV lottery applicants may include a spouse and children in their entry.
- Only one entry is permitted per person. If there are multiple registrations on behalf of one person, all of the registrations are disqualified.
- Applicants must carefully follow the State Department’s official lottery instructions. Lottery entries and digital photos that do not precisely conform to the instructions will be disqualified.
- Once the application is accepted, applicants will receive a confirmation number, which must be saved and used to check the status of the online application.
For more information please check out our helpful links below.
Contact us. Need our help? To schedule a consultation, please text 619-483-4549 or call 619-819-9204.
- Instructions for the 2025 Diversity Immigrant Visa Program (DV-2025)
- Official Electronic Diversity Visa Program webpage
- Green Card Through the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program
- November Visa Bulletin
- Employment-Based Fourth Preference (EB-4) Announcement
- Adjustment of Status Filing Dates from Visa Bulletin
- USCIS Processing Times
- USCIS Announces End of COVID-Related Flexibilities
- Immigrant Visa Backlog Report
- DOS Visa Services Operating Status Update
- ImmigrationU Membership
- Success stories
- Youtube channel
JOIN OUR NEW FACEBOOK GROUP
Need more immigration updates? We have created a new facebook group to address the impact of the new executive order and other changing developments related to COVID-19. Follow us there.
For other COVID 19 related immigration updates please visit our Immigration and COVID-19 Resource Center here.